Eric R Snow

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 20:16:33 GMT, "Leonard & Peggy Brown"
wrote:

I cut lots of 1/2 brass tubing using my cheap bandsaw with a metal cutting
blade.
LB

"david" wrote in message
hlink.net...
hi,

I am using 3/4" OD aluminum tubing as balusters for deck rails. I need
to cut almost 400 of them to length. I was hoping for suggestions on
the most efficient and painless way to do this. I have woodworking
tools such as band saw, table saw, miter saws, jig saw, etc...

any advice appreciated...

thanks,

david
greenville, sc

Greetings David,
Since you have so many of them to cut I would buy a carbide blade for
the miter saw and cut them that way. I have cut aluminum angle and
channel with a skilsaw and with the miter saw. It's noisy, and chips
go everywhere. But you will get a nice clean cut with small, easily
removed burrs. And it's real fast. You can spray the blade with
cutting oil every so often, or use a small brush to put a small amount
of oil right at the cut, or buy a tube of cutting wax and apply it
either to the aluminum or the stationary blade to make the cutting
even easier. The reason I like the miter saw is that it stops pretty
fast when the trigger is released so it is safer for me.
Good luck!
ERS