John Rumm

Pecanfan wrote:

As I say, I loaded SuperBeam up. Looked through various screens. Got
frightened. Closed it again. (Sorry Tony! :-) )
Hold on...
Yup, tried it again and the same thing happened! :-(

You will probably find it makes more sense once you have seen a
completed project in it! (I was in the fortunate position of having the
full set of calcs produced by an architect, hence it was simple enough
to go back to the program and fiddle around a bit until I could
reproduce the same figures and understand what the various bits were
doing).

To model a beam, start by creating one (CTRL + B), and give it a name.
Then specify the loadings. First you enter a type for the load i.e. U
for uniform. Then enter the load (in kN) say 0.8 for a typical floor
with joists on 400mm centres (this is a linear load rather than sq
area). For each load you specify you may not need all the parameters -
it will vary on circumstance. Click Apply. (you can get a fair amount of
info out of the help pages).

Now specify the Timber specs. Enter your beam size (175x63), C16 timber,
and for a floor you can specify "load sharing". Click apply. That's the
beam modelled. So for one of your existing cross member beams that
connect to joist B, you would specify the length, load type "U", load
(W1) 0.8. Timber as described above. Now play with the icons at the top
and you should be able to display the forces on the beam and the bending
and shear loads along its length.

To model a beam like B, I find the "B/F Reaction" button is handy. This
lets you specify a point load on one beam by reference to another beam
rather than having to copy the loads manualy (a bit like referring to
another cell in a spreadsheet). Note the beam you refer to needs to be
higher up the list in the project manager. So you can add the reaction
caused by one end of you cross joists to B (in your case both ends will
be exerting the same down force so it does not matter which). You can
use the same beam to add a load to B repeatedly, just by changing the
distance along the beam where it intersects (e.g. 0.2, 0.6, 1, 1.4m etc
for 400mm centres).

Finally do A in the same way.

If a beam fails, then you need to go play with its parameters to see
what you need to do to prevent that.

(if you need more detailed instructions than that, then drop me an email
since any more here is probably going to get pretty dull for our readers ;-)

I'll see how the ground lies once I've managed to rip the partition wall
down between the stairwell and existing bathroom... and also lifted the
boards where the bath is etc. It *might* be possible to bolt A to the
concrete (along with another joist or even some steel), not sure until I do

Not sure you will need to bolt it to the concrete... in fact if it is
not attached then I would be inclined not so so that you don't have to
start modelling the loading on that as well! When I was fiddling with
the figures I found just bolting another beam beside it was enough.

--
Cheers,

John.