On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 14:39:11 -0400, someone wrote:

Why is it that you think they suck?

I would have to drive past two lumber yards, four hardware stores,
three electrical supply and at least on plumbing supply, to reach a
Home Depot.

I see where HD rents trucks for something like $19/hr for people to
take stuff home in. If I call my local lumber yard, they will deliver
for no extra charge, and have it out to me usually by the next day,
and sometimes its been the same day. I tell them where I want it, and
when I get home it is stacked there. I expect that the price is
probably a little higher than HD to begin with, but not enough to
concern me given the level of service (I also have an account at the
local place, and they bill me at the end of the month, Net 30.)

HD can be good for the semi-clueless, who know only to buy generic
stuff by price, who need to see it in the aisles because they don't
know to ask for it from a counterman, and who are basically looking
for generic items at generic prices. Personally I hate the whole
big-box crowded experience, even the parking lot is a zoo. Its not
worth the few percent savings to go through the hassle when I can just
go up to the counter (or call) my local yard, tell them who I am, and
tell them what I want and where to leave it.

I will admit that sometimes HD has a deal - one of my employees found
a power tool that he felt was equivalent to what I had authorized him
to buy for us, for MUCH less at HD so he got it there; for a volume
item on "special" yes they might have it cheaper. But generally I do
not look forward to a trip to HD and would rather buy locally (the HD
is maybe 23 miles from my house).

-v.