D. Gerasimatos

In article ,
Mike Lewis wrote:

Why ... what makes them suck?

They have reasonable prices.

I don't think they have "experts" that work there but not everyone needs
an expert to buy what they need for a home renovation.

The selection they have is limited ... but that's why their cheap ...
they don't have to stock a larger selection so they can have larger
volumes on the stuff they do stock.

They have a reasonable return policy .. almost anything
you don't use can be brought back.

Since there are so many of them ... there is usually one
in the neighborhood ... so they are convenient.

Why is it that you think they suck?

They drive competitors out of business, which is fine in itself unless
you happen to need to talk to an expert or find a specialty item. The
difference between a good hardware store or store that supplies the trades
and Home Depot is huge, but most people don't know the difference. Everyone
just knows Home Depot (or Lowe's). It's like buying everything you own at
Wal-Mart or Target. It can be done, but I'm not sure you'd want to.

I generally try to avoid Home Depot and give my business to the places that
stock hard-to-find items and employ guys who actually give correct advice.
Prices are higher, but that's what happens when one stocks specialty items
that don't turn over often and pays his employees a living wage.

Dimitri