The Natural Philosopher

MBQ wrote:

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message ill.com...

On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 15:36:39 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

The transistors used (can't remember the number at the mo) were
in glass domed cases with a black finish (about 3mm diameter by 7mm
tall).

OC71 etc, though that was an audio type tranny. Nicely light sensitive
if you scrapped the paint off.

It also called up things like "postage stamp" type trimmers which
at the time were difficult to find (although they are available
again now!).

When I was at the "building my first radio stage" (late 60's early
70's) getting almost any electronic part was hard. RS, Farnell, etc

That's just plain wrong. My father and later myself managed to obtain
everything he needed from the early 60s onwards. I can't remember who
all the suppliers were but any issue of Practical Wireless from the
time would be revealing. Electrovalue and Ambit were the ones we
mostly used.

Electrovalue started up in te late 60's, frtom a shed in surrey.

Prior to that it was Henry's radio mainly IIRC.

where way above the pocket money level. Tandy didn't do most of the
things required for UK designs and what they did do wasn't that cheap.

If you mean getting things cheap was difficult then that's a different
matter. RS were trade only in those days but most large towns had a
shop that would order stuff for you.

Yes.

Maplin didn't exist...

They certainly did exist by the early 70s.

Don't think so...mid 70's more like.

MBQ