Bruce Ferguson

When ever I hear about turning oak I always throw this in for what it is
worth. I have never had a problem with oak trees. I have been around them
all my life. Here is the but. I was in a class and started turning Silk
oak. I was in short sleves and shorts. I turned the bowl and used the
restroom in the middle of it all. Next morning I had broken out with poison
oak. Even "down below" was swollen. Where ever the oil from the wood
toutched is were I broke out. I may have been the exception as no one else
in the class had any problems. But if you are the exception it was not fun.
The lessons I learned were to wash your hands BEFORE useing the rest room to
get rid of the oil and use long sleve shirts if you are not sure. I have
not had any problems with any other wood but now it is a habit before
comeing into the house I brush all the shaveings off my cloths and then wash
my hands. The first one is for my wife and the second one is for my. I
don't understand why she gets so upset with the trail of shaveings from the
garage to the kitchen. Must be a woman thing.

Have fun turning-----Bruce
"Ace" wrote in message
I want to try my luck at bowl turning. I have no lathe experience. I

want
to try Oak and Osage Orange. A guy told me to soak the wood first. Is

this
advisable or BS?
Thanks