Norminn

JoeD wrote:
I was wondering if the follwoing is generally true. Please remember I
live in the NYC area so I am assuming that there is only one type of
termite here.
The guy who is repairing the damage in my neighbor's house said, even if
an extermanitor treats the house by injecting chemicals around the
paremeter, any termite nest with a queen established above the ground
in the house will not be destroyed. The termites will continue to feed
moving up into the house until they have no more wood. He says that is
why they found a large number termites in the house even though that
house was treated some 2 years earlier..

When I asked several exterminators the same question, they said this
doesn't happen. The nest (this area) is always below the ground and that
the whole nest will be destroyed all the way up into the house.

There are two main types of termites here in Florida - subterranean and
dry-wood. Barrier treatments, as I understand them, are to keep
subterranean termites from burrowing to and invading the house.

There has been a good deal written about barrier treatments in Florida.
Newly built homes allegedly protected turned out not to be, for a
number of reasons. Crooks who diluted chemicals too much were one
problem. In order to be effective, there must be no interruption in the
barrier treatment (don't go digging after you've treated the soil).

Dry wood termies swarm during mating season and come looking for an
opening above ground - uncaulked window joints, gaps between
foundation/wood, etc.

The main deal is that the two types require different treatment. Best
thing you can do is learn how to PREVENT termite infestation, inspect
regularly and also have annual licensed inspection.

Termite inspection should include inside and outside of foundation,
inside plumbing access panels, wood around window/door openings, etc.