Lar

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 12:30:47 GMT, JoeD wrote:

I was wondering if the follwoing is generally true. Please remember I
live in the NYC area so I am assuming that there is only one type of
termite here.
The guy who is repairing the damage in my neighbor's house said, even if
an extermanitor treats the house by injecting chemicals around the
paremeter, any termite nest with a queen established above the ground
in the house will not be destroyed. The termites will continue to feed
moving up into the house until they have no more wood. He says that is
why they found a large number termites in the house even though that
house was treated some 2 years earlier..

When I asked several exterminators the same question, they said this
doesn't happen. The nest (this area) is always below the ground and that
the whole nest will be destroyed all the way up into the house.

If there is an above ground water source they don't have to return to
the ground. It's not that there is always a queen in an established
colony above ground, but rather if a population of termites get cut
off from the main colony and they have a moisture source, some of the
secondary reproductives can now take over as a new queen. The older
chemicals where basically a shield that kept termites from crossing
the treated zone, not effecting the nest, so if there was a moisture
source and a large enough population in the walls a new colony could
possibly form. If the company uses Phantom, this will not happen.
The termites don't detect it, get contaminated and spread it through
the colony. Premise somewhat will probably also control an above
ground nest, but I'm not sure if it is sold in New York. Though it is
possible, it usually is unlikely and the activity is probably just a
return of termites from the soil.

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.