Default Radiator Covers

"Martin" wrote

I have been looking into radiator covers/boxes lately; mainly so I don't
have to decorate behind the ***kin things.
From what I can see the design is pretty simple, a wooden frame with some
form of perforated material to let the air flow. So why the **** do they
cost so much? (up to £250) I'm sure I could make something as good (if

not
better) for about £10 - £20 plus a few hours with a router. Am I missing
something here? Has anyone else made their own?

Yes: that both time and skill cost money. You aren't making a like-for-like
comparison in financial terms if you ignore the cost of your own labour and
skill.

I don't have the skills needed to make a really good job of such a
construction, but do think a cover would look good in my living room. So
this afternoon I checked prices - say £60 seems the norm for the style /
size I want. My alternative is to ask a carpenter I know to make one for
me, but I'd have to take the cost of his labour into account when comparing
prices.

This is, of course, is why many of us chose DIY.

Barbara