Bob Mannix

"Grunff" wrote in message
Ian Stirling wrote:

Some of them, yes.
It's actually quite hard to get to go on fire if it's not exposed to
water.
It doesn't vapourise well, and the oxide skim tends to inhibit things.

Hehe... Reminds me of a foolish incident we once had.

I had a couple of pounds of sodium to dispose of. There are many safe
ways to dispose of sodium; this isn't one of them.

I filled a bucket with water, put it at the bottom of the garden, then
dropped a half pound chunk into it and retired to a safe distance.

A minute or two later there was a loud pop and the place was showered
with molten sodium. It didn't matter too much, because it was mostly
grass and trees. But the shed took some of the fallout. Later that day
it started to rain, and patches of the lawn (and the shed) caught fire.

eee you mad b*st*rd!

Did you ever see the George Goble web page with video clips of him lighting
barbecues with a gallon of liquid oxygen? Respec! Sadly his page has been
shut down (fears of litigation I assume) but there's still an article with
piccies available:

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/Ambrosia_T.../2.5HowTo.html

--
Bob Mannix