patriarch

"Richard A." wrote in
news:9iP%c.55358$nk.46919@okepread05:

I received some plastic bushings free with my Ryobi Router. I tried one
out for the first time, ever, using a template for a handle I'll put
on a tray. I used a 1/4 rabbit bit with the 5/16 inch bushing and a
template. The bushing worked fine for a bit but as I went, it melted
out to about 1/2 inch of the center. I don't have any smaller rabbit
bits but I guess that's what I needed.

Are plastic bushings completely useless or was it just me?

Richard

Even the really 'value-engineered', made-in-the-lowest-labor-cost-this-
year-country are generally made of something that looks to be brass.

And if you consider the heat generated by spinning a bit through solid wood
at, oh, 18,000 rpm, you'll understand that it wasn't likely your technique.

What's indicated, at least for now, is a visit to www.patwarner.com. Then
you can figure out what you should do next. Pat is a router guru of the
first order, and writes well, too.

Cheer up, and chalk this one up to experience. Nobody bled, right?

Patriarch