/..

By 6 Sep 2004 07:45:05 -0700, (Sathyan Sundaram)
decided to post "cordless drill/driver" to rec.woodworking:

Please recommend a few cordless drill/drivers to try out? Right now I
have a Skil 6265 (5 Amp corded) but would like to get a cordless for
outdoor use and where an outlet is not convenient.

I'd like to buy something from DeWalt, Porter Cable, etc. or
equivalent. Under $200. For woodworking, decks, household repairs.
3/8" variable speed.

thanks
Sathyan

I had a PC 12v for several years, and liked it a lot -- good balance,
fairly powerful. But the batteries didn't' last but about 100 charges.
And I kept wearing out the little tiny motors. Eventually after 4 motors,
and two trigger switches, re-soldering the wiring several times, and maybe
10 batteries, I gave up on the Porter Cable cordless tool. It really
didn't stand up to professional use, and parts and construction were
substandard.

Did a bunch of networking work and took in trade an 18v Dewalt kit; it was
about 300-400 US$ at the time on sale. 1/2" hammer drill, small circ saw
and a recip saw. I like the drill a good bit -- it's heavier, but the
batteries go a long way on a charge, and it's more powerful. The circular
saw has all but replaced my other two, esp for cutting sheet goods. The
recip saw is ok, and can be handy, but is not powerful enough to, say, cut
RR ties, or cast iron pipe (which together wore out two PC Tiger saws for
me...), but it does handle studs, limbs and trees up to about 3-4" with the
right blade, and almost any size of pvc pipe. The recip saw wears out
batteries faster than either of the other tool.

Been using this dewalt cordless stuff for about 1.5 years, and the
batteries are starting to get old, not hold a charge as long. One battery
(of the 2 supplied in the kit) won't charge fully, even after a deep cycle
charge. Looks like it's dying. Used it today tho to make about 100" of
cut in 5/8" hardwood ply, then remove about 50 2" screws, and drive about
35 1 to 2.5" screws. So I guess it still has a little reserve.

Overall I'd recommend the Dewalt stuff if it prices within range for ya.

/ts

--

find / -iname "*gw*" -exec rm -rf {} \;

In heaven, there is no beer,
That's why we drink it here,
And when we're all gone from here,
Our friends will be drinking all the beer!
-- Famous old Czech song about beer --