Edwin Pawlowski

"Nick Z." wrote in message

What about equipment? What would you recommend as the basics. Are there
starter combo machines that are worth the investment? I have heard rumors
of a shop in the area that you can rent time at that has everything you
need, I may start here.

Renting shop time is a good idea if you have no tools are need a particular
tool that you don't have yet.

There are a few combo tools, such as the Shopsmith. It is a tablesaw,
bandsaw, drill press and a couple of others. If you are tight on space, it
may be a good idea. The problem is, you cut out a part on the bandsaw, then
you convert the machine to a drill press. Drilling the holes you screw up
and have to cut a new piece. Tear down and re-set. Then tear down and
re-set. Nice to have all the tools sitting and ready.

Looking at the "for sale" ads in our local shoppers paper, there are many of
them for sale. Some weeks there will be a half dozen Craftsman table saws
and maybe four Shopsmiths. I've rarely seen contractors saws, once saw a
Grizzly, never saw a Unisaw listed. Since Craftsman sells many saw
(especially low end starters) I can see the reason of so many. OTOH,
Shopsmith is in the minority and yet just as many are for sale.

If you are unsure of your dedication to the hobby, buy used and the minimums
before you dive in and spend a bundle.