Ron S.

When I started gathering the major power tool, my first purchase was a table
saw. In retrospect, I probably would have been better served by starting
with the band saw. It is more versatile, and I use it more than my table
saw. I have the Grizzly G055, and it's a great saw, but I may replace the
bearing blade guides with plain blocks.

Let us know what you do and how well it works.
"Nick Z." wrote in message
Hi All-
First time writer, long time reader.

I am looking for suggestions on getting my workshop started. I haven't
touch anything woodworking related for several years now and would like to
startup again. I am starting from square 1. I am looking for tips on
hardware as well as which items recommended to purchase first. I know the
saying goes "Don't buy any tool until you need it" but where to begin is
the bigger question.

I am planning to start small (jewelry boxes and humidors) to get a hang of
things again. I may get into lathe work as well, but most likely not right
off the back. I don't want to invest huge amounts of money immediately. As
I start to use the shop more and more I'll upgrade the equipment as needed.

I am planning on making use of my abundant 3rd floor attic space for the
shop. Do you think this is a good or bad idea? My basement wont work so
well and garage is pretty much out of the question also. I will need to run
electric as well as insulate for the cold winters and hot (well they used to
be at least) summers of Wisconsin! I know getting equipment up to the attic
will be a real pain but it is all I think I can do.

Your comments are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick