Set Square

Default Radiator Covers

Martin wrote:

I have been looking into radiator covers/boxes lately; mainly so I
don't have to decorate behind the ***kin things.
From what I can see the design is pretty simple, a wooden frame with
some form of perforated material to let the air flow. So why the ****
do they cost so much? (up to £250) I'm sure I could make something
as good (if not better) for about £10 - £20 plus a few hours with a
router. Am I missing something here? Has anyone else made their own?

If you *are* going to cover your radiators - regardless of whether you make
or buy the covers - you should first assess the effect of the cover on the
heat output. The cover will inevitable reduce air circulation round the
rad - and reduce the heat getting into the room. If the rad is already
marginal for output, it won't be enough with a cover on!

If you're decorating, you can't - IMHO - adequately paint a radiator in
situ. You need to take it off and lay it flat - in which case you can
decorate behind it while it's off.

If any of your radiators are old and 'orrible - and need covering up - throw
them away and replace them with nice new ones. Modern finned radiators have
a higher heat output, size for size, than non-finned ones - and have metal
covers at the ends and top - and look far more attractive than older ones,
without any need to cover them further for aesthetic reasons.
--
Cheers,
Set Square