Mark & Juanita

On 8 Sep 2004 17:33:35 -0700, (gmpatti) wrote:

My wife wants me to build a buffet for the dining room, and paint it
black. (I am loathe to do it, but a happy wife makes for a happy
workshop). My question is this, I was thinking of making it out of
pine since it will be painted and finished with probably a poly.
Should I go with a hard wood instead? or maybe make the body out of
pine and the top out of a hard wood? Thanks for any help.

How about using poplar instead (that is if you don't want to use ply or
some other sheet good)? Even if you paint it, the problem with pine is
that it's soft, just look at it wrong and it's going to get dinged or
dented. Poplar also takes paint pretty well. Other cheap hardwoods you
might look at include soft maple (that's really not all that soft, just
softer than hard maple).