Chet Hayes

"formerly known as 'cat arranger'" wrote in message news:nZy%c.286121$Oi.269740@fed1read04...
Our housing development got a class action lawsuit
settlement that amounted to over 15K for each house.
The law firm gave us a few hundred pages of possible
problems that must be fixed or given notice of to buyers.
How would one (me) start to get estimates or evaluate
bids? And how can I be sure that the work will be
accepted as done correctly by a buyer?

Any other suggestions? Thanks : -)

If many of the homes have the same repairs to be done, I would see if
I could get a group of homeowners together with the idea of selecting
contractors together to do most of them. The advantage should be a
somewhat lower price, based on the volume, and the contractor will
have experience after a few homes, which should make the job easier
for him. Plus other homeowners are the best way to find good
contractors.

Regarding documenting the repairs, I'd make sure to get
permits/inspections for any work which requires it. Also, save
contracts and cancelled checks, and a few pics wouldn't hurt. But
once they have been repaired correctly as far as you know, you don't
have any obligation to disclose this to future buyers.