Bill Schnakenberg

Larry Bud wrote:

timeOday wrote in message ...

Larry Bud wrote:

While I hope everybody is well after the pounding Florida took again,
I have to wonder why we put up with the Federal Government paying for
natural disasters that occur year after year. If you can't afford
the proper insurance for the disasters that hit your area, MOVE.

We all know Florida and the Carolinas get hammered by hurricanes,
California has earthquates and forest fires, Oklahoma has tornados,
and those who live in a flood plane of a river get floods, and those
who live at the base of a volcano get covered in lava, yet tax payers
are forced to reimburse those people who CONTINUE to rebuild in the
exact same spot time after time, knowing those places will get hit
again in the future. Frankly, I'm tired of it.

I did a little websearching after the last Florida disaster, and
couldn't determine what it is the federal govt. pays out. They do pay
for short-term humanitarian relief, but I don't think they pay to
rebuild houses and businesses.

From the Fema.gov site, the application for losses:

Temporary Housing (a place to live for a limited period of time):
Money is available to rent a different place to live, or a government
provided housing unit when rental properties are not available.

Repair: Money is available to homeowners to repair damage from the
disaster that is not covered by insurance. The goal is to make the
damaged home safe, sanitary, and functional.

Replacement: Money is available to homeowners to replace their home
destroyed inthe disaster that is not covered by insurance. The goal is
to help the homeowner with the cost of replacing their destroyed home.

Permanent Housing Construction: Direct assistance or money for the
construction of a home. This type of help occurs only in insular areas
or remote locations specified by FEMA, where no other type of housing
assistance is possible.

Other Needs: Money is available for necessary expenses and serious
needs caused by the disaster. This includes medical, dental, funeral,
personal property, transportation, moving and storage, and other
expenses that are authorized by law.

They clearly help people rebuild their homes.

It has to be determined a disaster though. If a 747 crashes into my
house and no one else if affected, I am **** out of luck getting any
help from the goverment. My only hope is that the friggen' plane was
piloted by a terrorist and it wiped out my whole neighborhood.