Greg

THe flaw in your argument is that there is no place that is totally safe
from
natural disasters and the folks who think they are safe are more likely NOT

have any insurance for it.
I agree there should be places where folks would have to accept their

losses
(river bottoms and barrier islands) if they rebuild but you can't paint

this
with too wide a brush.

Don't you think hurricanes hitting Florida is pretty common?

I bet the uninsured toll from Frances will be higher in states all the way from
Georgia to Ohio than it was in Florida.
Most of those people do not pay for any hurricane insurance.
What's your solution, just to abandon the 4th largest state (population) in the
union?
You will also have to include the entire Gulf coast and the eastern seaboard.
Most of the damage you do see is in mobile home parks and on the beach. I
already said we probably should not be subsidizing people who rebuild on
barrier islands but the same would have to apply to people who live on flood
plains.
That can be in virtually any state. They are flooding in Tennessee as we speak
.... from a hurricane.