Will Niccolls

"W.D." wdanis at NO SPAM yahoo dot com wrote in message
I'm considering adding a one-car parking space adjacent to the driveway in
the front of my home (where I'm having trouble growing grass anyhow). I
initially thought I'd pay someone to pave it for me but am now thinking

that
I could just throw some gravel down, bordered by railroad ties. I'm

thinking
that this would:

1. be more aesthetically pleasing
2. require less maintenance (i.e., no cracking concrete)
3. be better for drainage (our front lawn slopes downward to our house)
4. be cheaper and something I could do myself

Any thoughts on the pros and cons of pavement vs. gravel? If I were to go
w/the latter, is it as simple as dumping some gravel on the lawn (after
killing weeds/grass)? Any helpful comments are appreciated. Thanks!

W.D.

Another consideration: Some localities require a permit for new driveways
or aprons to the street. Mine in particular requires "dust free" surfaces,
so gravel isn't allowed. They also require a bond for the apron
construction.

My preference for beauty and durability? Concrete pavers:
www.cambridgepavers.com or www.ephenry.com there are other brands also.

Will Niccolls