Stormin Mormon

An hour later the repairman comes over. My suspicions are answered as
he says that the heater bars and control mechanism are bad and need to
be replaced. (He showed me the bars, they 're make of glass and look
busted.)

SM: Well, did he use a volt meter to check them? Or just look?

This he does, but guess what... it doesn't fix the problem.
The defroster section still doesn't work.

SM: Now, you realize there is a termination thermostat, it won't heat unless
the defrost termination thermostat is cold.

So he says I should not have melted the ice, that the believes the
hairdryer damaged the aluminum coils.

SM: I'm suspicious of htis.

He says I never should have
touched it, that whenever an appliance goes bad, one should never
tinker with it.

SM: Most folks do tinker, and it makes a lot of extra work for me.

Then he says that there may be a freon leak, or that
the compressor is gone bad.

SM: Wow, you'd think he woulda checked that before changing out your defrost
heater element. I'm wondering if this guy knows his head from a hole in the
ground.

I tell him to forget it that I'll just dump the piece of crap. (G.E.)
Now I'm out $85 and I still have a fridge that don't work.

SM: I'm sorry to hear that.

The reason why I melted all the ice was because the recommended
http://www.applianceaid.com/frig_notcold.html said that's what to do
to get to the heater bars. The repair guy says he never does that,
that he uses a pot of boiled water at the bottom of the freezer, that
it's more "gentle."

SM: I use an electric heater called a "heat gun" which works nicely. Hair
drier is good, too. The one I did over the weekend, we used a hair dryer.
Thaw it out for a couple days, and I'll go back later with my box of parts.
Never trust the customer's dianosis, and never diagnose over the internet.

OK. Think I just got hosed? Or what?

Hi,

You got hosed!!

New tech time!!