Australopithecus scobis wrote in message ie...
On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 12:17:37 -0700, matthew_r_blanchette wrote:

"Townsman". I haven't been able to find anything matching this on any
of the old tool sites I've looked at.

You won't. The "Townsman" is not a "classic" Disston, such as collectors
covet. Our Townsmans (Townsmen? I have one too.) were made after Disston
sold out. If the button says "Disston USA", it's a user, not a collector.
Give it a good set and sharpening, and go to town.

Thanks. I've been using it for years, and just got interested in
sharpening it myself, which led me to the collector sites, which made
me curious....

Anyway, thanks for the info.

I have one other question. At some point, the handle was finished
with some sort of varnish, which was cracked by the time I got it, so
I sanded it off. Would you recommend putting some other finish on, or
leaving it alone?

Again, I'm looking for durability and ease of use, not
"collectability". Although I wouldn't mind hearing "Hey, nice saw."
:-)