Australopithecus scobis wrote in message ie...
On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 12:17:37 -0700, matthew_r_blanchette wrote:

"Townsman". I haven't been able to find anything matching this on any
of the old tool sites I've looked at.

You won't. The "Townsman" is not a "classic" Disston, such as collectors
covet. Our Townsmans (Townsmen? I have one too.) were made after Disston
sold out. If the button says "Disston USA", it's a user, not a collector.
Give it a good set and sharpening, and go to town.

I found a very old pre-1920 Disston D-23 recently in a thrift shop

for
less than $5, all teeth there, with a "less than" handle on it, then

right
away got a used full condition matching handle on eBay. These saws
can go for a lot of money as you may see on the first link. But they

are
also fine user saws, which I hope will be of a higher value for you,
considering it came through family of original ownership.

Thank you both. I've been using it for years, and plan to keep doing
so. My next step is to teach myself to sharpen it. But I was curious
about the history behind it, and it was good to learn. Thanks again.