Christian McArdle

Not only that, some can take a while before they start to emit their
stated "equivalent" output...

Which is absolutely brilliant for a bedside light. I would NEVER fit an
incandescent light for this, for several reasons.

1. Energy efficiency (obviously)
2. Safety. (bulb temperature when half asleep)
3. Eye comfort when turning on at night.

I'm having to get up several times a night to change nappies etc. at the
moment. The fact that you don't have a tear inducing, retina rupturing 100W
of light down your eyeball as soon as you turn on the light is excellent. My
bulbs have exactly the right warm up time to get your eyes going in a gentle
fashion.

I have burnt myself several times on incandescent bulbs before low wattage
ones became available. I suffer from sleep walking.

Christian.