ChillDVDs

Default Washing Machine Connections

I'll start by saying that when it comes to DIY, I'm something of a disaster!

I've just moved house, and in the property I've moved into, the washing
machine connectors are simply taps (bit like you would expect a garden tap
to be). Obviously, the connectors for the washing machine will not go onto
this.

So, in my wisdom, I went to B&Q and bought a tap adapter. Washing machine
connectors screw on perfect, and I can secure the adapter to the tap.
However, when I turn the tap on, water comes gushing out to top of the
adapter. Now, initially I have thought that perhaps I just need to use a
spanner to tighten this up a bit, but then the more I've thought about it,
the more I've wondered whether this is going to work at all. If I turn the
tap on, presumably it is going to work in the same was at it would do if I
attached a garden hose - as in water is going to be constantly running.
Whereas, obviously a washing machine only needs the water at certain times,
so where would all this water be going.

I realise this all sounds like a really stupid thing to be asking, but I'd
be grateful of any help!

Regards

Lee