Jeff Cochran

On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 19:21:31 -0400, "W.D." wdanis at NO SPAM yahoo dot
com wrote:

I'm considering adding a one-car parking space adjacent to the driveway in
the front of my home (where I'm having trouble growing grass anyhow). I
initially thought I'd pay someone to pave it for me but am now thinking that
I could just throw some gravel down, bordered by railroad ties. I'm thinking
that this would:

1. be more aesthetically pleasing
2. require less maintenance (i.e., no cracking concrete)
3. be better for drainage (our front lawn slopes downward to our house)
4. be cheaper and something I could do myself

Any thoughts on the pros and cons of pavement vs. gravel? If I were to go
w/the latter, is it as simple as dumping some gravel on the lawn (after
killing weeds/grass)? Any helpful comments are appreciated. Thanks!

Put a weed block down before the gravel, and plan on higher
maintenance. Gravel moves, and edging it is impossible. Get a load
of gravel delivered, not the bags from your local box store.

Jeff