Andy Hall

On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 17:39:45 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 15:36:39 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

The transistors used (can't remember the number at the mo) were
in glass domed cases with a black finish (about 3mm diameter by 7mm
tall).

OC71 etc, though that was an audio type tranny. Nicely light sensitive
if you scrapped the paint off.

Until they started putting white opaque paste inside.

Then you had to carefully break the envelope, rinse out the gunk and
stick back together.

It also called up things like "postage stamp" type trimmers which
at the time were difficult to find (although they are available
again now!).

When I was at the "building my first radio stage" (late 60's early
70's) getting almost any electronic part was hard. RS, Farnell, etc
where way above the pocket money level. Tandy didn't do most of the
things required for UK designs and what they did do wasn't that cheap.
Maplin didn't exist...

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl