IMM

Default Central heating Q

"Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot" wrote in
message ...
Hi peeps,

The thermostat that controls our central heating boiler is in the,
fairly small, hallway. Is this the best place for it?

If our living room and kitchen doors are closed and someone opens the

front
door won't the stat think the house is freezing and fire up the heating?

If
the stat's trying to get the hallway up to, say, 28 degrees, wouldn't the
rads in other parts of the house be getting hotter than they needed to?

Our last house had the stat in the living room, which sounds a much better
idea to me - if the main room is warm then the rest of the house is too,
surely?

Also, I'm thinking of putting TRVs on all the rads so that the bedroom

rads
can be turned down in the daytime. I'm guessing that they can just be
swapped with the existing valves (after draining down of course)?

If I did this would it mean that I could leave the stat where it was? It'd
be a right pig to move and I'd rather not!

Any problems with this, or advice?

If you are having TRVs on all rads (check with the boiler instructions that
you can do this), dispense with the wall stat. Install a Grundfoss Alpha
variable speed pump which are notably quieter than the old pumps as they
match their power to the heating load and flow especially if you have TRVs.
The regs say you must have a "control interlock" that cuts out the burner
when the house does not require heating. This can be done by having a flow
switch on the return pipe. If the TVRs all close down the pump switches
itself, the flowswitch say no flow and the burners is off too. One TVR
opens up and the pump switches on, the flow switch detects flow and the
burner lights.

The boiler may require a minimum flow through the heat exchanger. Insert a
by-pass with a gate valve in it from the flow to the return after the pump.
With all rads off the valve must be set to give minimum flow through the
boiler. The flow switch must be before the by-pass tee on the return.
Boiler - return pipe - by-pass tee - flowswitch.

---