axolotl

Sunworshipper wrote:

I also noticed that
the far 4X4 had the knots horizontal they should be vertical or pick
the right part of the tree when buying them.

The 4x4s were pressure treated. The timber that is used for that purpose
is usually "boxed heart", the center of the tree that is left after the
veneer is peeled off to make plywood. The knots go from the center out.
To get a "good" 4x4 I'd have to drop a tree and cut it myself.

More than two would have
been safer. I'd be more worried about screwing up the house , it would
be next to impossible to replace the bent beam.

The beam was put in for the purpose. It is a 4x12 I beam in addition to
the lumber beam that supports the house. The problem of the moment is
headroom. The bottom of the beam is seven feet from the floor. The mill
is about five and a half feet high on the pallet. My chain hoist is old,
heavy and big. I will need to get another lifting device that can fit in
the space.

Kevin Gallimore