fred

In article , Charles Middleton
writes
Hi,

My current electric shower does say anywhere its KW rating. I intend to
replace this next week and am wondering if I can determine the rating from
either...

a) the rating of the circuit breaker

b) the size of the cable

c) some other means.

By looking at the cable I cant determine its size (mm2?) - is there a
measurement that I can take of it to determine its maximum rating. Also a
quick breakdown of cable size against shower rating would be most useful if
anyone can help.

Thanks in advance for any help,

CM.

Easy way is to turn off all major appliances (washing m/c, cooker etc but
lights/video don't really matter) then measure the power usage on the
electricity meter over a timed period. These things use so much juice that
the rating should be pretty clear from say just 5/6mins of use. Meter will
resolve 0.1kWhr at worst so 6mins on a 7kW will give 0.7kWhr, 8kW -
0.8kWhr etc.

Howzat?
-
fred