Tony

Not exactly the answer you're looking for, but here's my recent (8/04)
experience having a water line put in for a new service in upstate NY
(lots of rock in the yard)

Backhoe dug a 165 ft trench 5 ft down through multiple layers of flat
rock with some dirt (it was more rock than dirt). The copper pipe
installed was type K, 1 inch that came in 100 ft coils.

Total price, digging, laying pipe and backfilling was $10/ft or
$1650.00. That price did not include plumbing work inside. THe pipe
was inserted into the house, flared and a shutoff installed. The rest
was up to me.

Since this was NY and not CA, your mileage may vary.

Tony

On 07 Sep 2004 14:39:53 GMT, wrote:

In alt.home.repair 3rd eye wrote:
Shouldn't that tell you something?
You're not buying a car at some hack lot.

It tells me that his first two bids were too high. But is $2000 still
too high? I don't know. That's why I'm asking what other people have
been paying for jobs like this.