Mike in DE.

Default Will solid stain cover old stain on a deck?

I used Behr solid stain on my deck two years ago and its alredy
peeling off of everything thats laying horizontal. I have gotten rid
of all loose stain and am ready to try agian, with a differant product
(I'm not making the mistake of using Behr again). The vertical wood
(balisters, posts, etc.)and certain spots on the deck planks, the
stain is sticking really well and my question is do I need to remove
this stain before I apply a differant color soliid stain or will the
stain cover up the old color, like paint would? The old color was a
dull maroon, and I plan on painting the rails white and the deck grey.
Also, any suggestions on a good product to use?

Thanks a lot,
Mike