timeOday

Larry Bud wrote:
While I hope everybody is well after the pounding Florida took again,
I have to wonder why we put up with the Federal Government paying for
natural disasters that occur year after year. If you can't afford
the proper insurance for the disasters that hit your area, MOVE.

We all know Florida and the Carolinas get hammered by hurricanes,
California has earthquates and forest fires, Oklahoma has tornados,
and those who live in a flood plane of a river get floods, and those
who live at the base of a volcano get covered in lava, yet tax payers
are forced to reimburse those people who CONTINUE to rebuild in the
exact same spot time after time, knowing those places will get hit
again in the future. Frankly, I'm tired of it.

I did a little websearching after the last Florida disaster, and
couldn't determine what it is the federal govt. pays out. They do pay
for short-term humanitarian relief, but I don't think they pay to
rebuild houses and businesses. We hear these huge damage estimates
(say, $15BN); I think most of that is covered by Floridians through
their insurance premiums.

I would certainly be interested in more clarification on the whole issue
though.