N. Thornton

Pete C wrote in message . ..
On 6 Sep 2004 01:06:30 -0700, (N. Thornton) wrote:

If the cracks are along the grain I wouldn't worry too much, rot tends
to attack end grain so the surface would go first. OTOH if it's
cracking across the grain (checking) that could be the onset of rot.
Soaking preserver into the cracks should help in any case.

cheers,
Pete.

Its along the grain cracking, not across like dry rot cracks. I've
preserved it all, but I doubt thats going to get into the cracks any
more than very patchily.

Its a nice piece of woodwork, but unfortunately poorly executed IMHO.
The use of 2 strips nailed together in place of solid 2x4 etc is just
a recipe for rot.

Thanks, NT