Pecanfan

How about using a spiral staircase as it's just for access? Loft shop do
some internal ones which it might be possible to use externally.

Regards
Capitol

Hadn't really thought about a spiral staircase but I suppose it would
certainly be an option! Slightly confused about the whole building regs
side of things since it says (Building Regs, Doc K):-

"1.21 Stairs designed in accordance with BS5395 Stairs, Ladders and
Walkways. Part 2: 1984 Code of Practice for the design of helical and spiral
stairs, will be adequate."

Where do I get BS5395? Does BS5395 specify the same stuff shown in Building
Regs Doc K or does it have some extra stuff?

It then goes on to say:-

"Stairs with goings less than shown in this standard may be considered in
conversion work when space is limited and the stair does not serve more than
one habitable room."

What does it mean by 'this standard'? Does it mean the standards in Doc K
or the standards in BS5395? ...and what does it mean by 'one habitable
room'? This staircase would serve our kitchen, but the kitchen leads to the
lounge, but the lounge leads to a hallways which is attached to our main
entrance staircase... ?

....and if I can get away with a spiral staircase, why on earth aren't I
allowed a 45 degree straight staircase with say, 250mm rise?

AAAAAAAAAAARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!
Cheers for throwing another spanner in the works ;-)

Found this though and they seem to do some really nice stuff which comes
flat packed and can be fitted yourself!: http://www.castspiralstairs.com/

Time for a chat with building control me thinks...

Andy