Bob Mannix

"John Laird" wrote in message
On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 13:41:50 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

I'm normally pretty good a cutting straight lines with sciccors but
not with wet wallpaper on the wall. I think it's because of the
awkward angle you have to work and you really need 3 hands, 1 for the
sciccors and one each side of the cut so the paper doesn't move as you
cut.

I dry-cut the top of each strip before pasting and so only need to trim

the
bottom edge, which my 2 hands seem to manage reasonably well. I found the
crease at the top made by the back of a pair of dressmaking scissors (nick
them from a handy female) can only easily be seen on the paste side, which
you cannot cut with any reliability, and trying to go along the patterned
side seemed to need not just 3 hands, but also to be tackled from above,
left-handed, and I'm not good at hanging from ceilings.

Hanging to a picture rail/coving helps. If you paint them last (as you
should) you can cover up any slight irregularities caused by cutting along
the idented line on the paste side (as you have to do) (as long as you err
on the slightly long) - ditto with the skirting board. If you are matching
patterns, I would have said dry cutting anything was a very bad idea as you
have to slide the paper to match the pattern. Papering to a ceiling with no
coving is a nightmare and never looks good.

The problem is that less experienced people err on the side of caution and
it's a hell of a lot easier to get wallpaper paste of gloss paint than gloss
paint off wallpaper! If you have the nerve, the brushes and the steady hand,
you should go for it and gloss last. (No responsibility accepted for gloss
splodges ) ).

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)