Bob Mannix

"Broadback" wrote in message
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

bill wrote:

I am going to change the ceramic kitchen floor tiles and would like to
have
included some form of insulation. The gap is only really deep enough
to fit
the tile cement so does anyone know of a type of insulation I might be
able
to use? I was wondering about a foil roll or something similar if it
exists.

Many thanks.

Pointless unless you can get a couple of inches of polystyrene in there.

Foil is not insulative., Its conductive. Al is the most conductive metal
for its weight there is pretty much.

This is not intended to be contentious, just a question. If putting
foil behind a radiator then papering over reflects heat back would not
the same beneath a floor have the same effect?

"Proper" radiator stuff for the walls is actually thin foam sheet with foil
on it. There will be a tiny amount of radiated heat reflected by the foil
(if it's not papered over) but the main effect is that the insulating foam
stops a very cold wall from cooling the air that has been warmed by the
radiator. The effect is pretty minimal, I suspect, but if you have solid
walls and have the radiators off and are redecorating it's worth putting the
silvered foam sheet ON TOP of the wall paper. Foil on its own would be
almost completely useless on top of the paper and completely so underneath.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)