patriarch

HerHusband wrote in
:

We have eight pine interior doors and jambs we need to finish.

Would Amber Shellac be a good choice for interior doors?

I've applied a single coat to a door scrap, and we like the look, but
I've heard that shellac doesn't wear well?

Also, the pine ends up looking rather "yellow" when the amber shellac
is applied. Would additional coats darken or minimize the yellow
appearance? Should I sand between coats of shellac?

Can I apply an oil based polyurethane over the shellac to improve it's
durability?

Pine ends up looking yellow when I put almost anything on it. Or when I
don't put anything on it.

Waterbased poly. Oil based poly. Shellac. Almost anything. Amber
shellac will intensify that, because the color is part of the finish.

You can get very pale shellac, and it won't build the color quite so much.
Several sources: www.hockfinishes.com, from the same fine folks who sell
blades for planes, etc., and www.shellac.net, which, I believe, is now part
of Liberon. And there are many good treatises on shellac application to be
found by Googling the wReck.

I would not hesitate to use shellac for my interior doors, but then, I
paint woodwork in my house every three to five years, regardless. Just to
change the look. Shellac repairs SO easily, where poly doesn't.

A little wax. A little soapy water on a rag now and then. Live.

Patriarch