Richard Cline

In article , "Robert Rushing"
wrote:

Make sure that you will be happy with the appearance of the desk before
you cut the wood.

The MDF is strong enough depending on what you mean by "the desk top
will be supported all the way across --". I have a an MDF desk top
that is 40" between the end supports. The top has a glued on support
along the front of 1x3 oak. I have a 21" monitor (very heavy) in the
middle of the desk. No problems.

Dick

I would like some input on a built in desk I'm building. The overall
length
will be 8'6" and 23" deep. The desk will be built from MDF. (Yes I know
many would suggest using a quality plywood, but the MDF was free 5 sheets
of
3/4 4x9.) The desk will be supported by basically two boxes 34" wide on
each end leaving roughly 36" in the middle for an work area. The desk
top
will be supported all the way across the front and back edge. Is a
single
layer of MDF going to work as a desk top or should I double it? The desk
top will have a small TV on one end and a computer in the middle.

Thanks for all the input on clamps. I was getting ready to order other
items from Rockler and will most likely add on some bar clamps.

Thanks
Robert R.