TURTLE

"Joe-46er" wrote in message
When is it time to toss away a refrigerator? My 9 year old
side-by-side GE 21 cf was doing fine, then all of a sudden it began to
fail. Not completely (yet).

Right now the freezer section works as follows: 22 degrees at the
bottom and 32 degrees at the top. (I don't know why the discrepancy.)
The non-freezer section maintains a 52 degree temp. These are when set
at max cold.

The fins are dust-free. I've turned the controls on and off several
times.

Is it worth calling in a repairman? I figure that the worst problem I
could have is a bad compressor. So what might that cost? Is it
cost-effective to repair or should I just go get a new one? The
original was $900 at the time. I can get an equivalent today for
around $700.

This brings up another issue...finding an honest repairman. I recall
seeing a TV consumer special about how unscrupulous some are.

Thanks.

This is Turtle.

Read Jeff's post and follow his instructions.

Now i think you have one of the three items that are defective. Defrost timer ,
defrost element, or the Defrost terminator. I don't think there is nothing wrong
with your compressor for you have not said anything that would leed me to think
it was the problem at all. One of these three items are not working right or
defective.

OOPPPPPssse , Could be a bad evaperator fan motor or blade.

TURTLE