Tom Veatch

On 6 Sep 2004 07:45:05 -0700, (Sathyan Sundaram) wrote:

Please recommend a few cordless drill/drivers to try out? Right now I
have a Skil 6265 (5 Amp corded) but would like to get a cordless for
outdoor use and where an outlet is not convenient.

I'd like to buy something from DeWalt, Porter Cable, etc. or
equivalent. Under $200. For woodworking, decks, household repairs.
3/8" variable speed.

thanks
Sathyan

I have been extremely well pleased with my DeWalt DW929. It's a 3/8 chuck, 18v
cordless in their "compact" series. . Adequate run time on the batteries. Fairly
light weight as 18v drills go, well balanced in the hand, more than enough
torque to do anything I've asked a 3/8 drill to do, and adequate runtime on the
batteries. The XRP extended runtime battery also fits at the expense of a little
more weight in the hand. The 929 has been discontinued and replaced with the
DW959 which has a 1/2 inch chuck and is a pound or so heavier. A quick Froogle
shows the 929 to still be on the shelves at several places.

I believe you could find either one, 3/8 or 1/2, for less than your price
cutoff. I didn't look for reconditioned, but that might also be a possibility.
I've been pleased in the past with my experiences with factory reconditioned
tools.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS USA