Vinnie Murdico

"Art" wrote in message
ink.net...
If the work was initially a code violation or otherwise defective,
even
though he only gave you a 1 year warranty, unless you signed a
contract that
clearly said otherwise, you can sue him in most areas of the country
(US)
until the statute of limitations (which varies by state).

Interesting -- well, this may actually become a "class action" suit! We
just found out today that about 7 or 8 neighbors (that we know of) had
the same problem(s) with water infiltration on the North and South sides
of the house. We also had water seeping in under the baseboard on the
opposite side of the house after the rain shifted last night when the
eye passed. That wall is much smaller and has no expansion joint, so we
know that wasn't a cause on that wall. The grade outside is below the
slab level so that can also be ruled out.

Most of our neighbors with problems also had water coming in under the
baseboard on the North or South sides of thier houses (same as ours
since that's where the wind/rain came from). In fact, one of the houses
was done by a different builder (but in our same neighborhood), and that
homeowner actually had more water infiltration problems scattered
throughout the house -- floor and ceiling. I'm starting to think they
all have been using the same (unskilled) labor, the same substandard
stucco, and/or the same substandard paint. All of these house are
simply not "sealed" properly, it would seem. In fact, even with the
stucco on the wall, on some houses on our street, you can see the
"stairstep effect" of the mortar joints on the walls after any heavy
rain, and it's especially visible today. I'm assuming with a good coat
of stucco and good paint, water shouldn't make it to the mortar joints
and they probably shouldn't be visible after a rain storm.

We've just called an independent home inspector that was recommended by
several neighbors in the past (for earlier water infiltration problems)
to come in and review our problem and offer some possible causes. My
guess is whatever is wrong in our house is the same problem affecting
most of our neighbor's houses, although several of them will be hiring
this inspector as well to evaluate their houses individually.

Thanks again,
-- Vinnie