G&M

"Alan Campbell" wrote in message
om...
"G&M" wrote in message

"Tony" wrote in message

What sort of maintenance does a whole house UV treatment unit need?

This
is the type that comprises a sealed stainless steel tube about 1.5m

long
within which there is UV fluorescent light? Does the UV light need to

be
replaced regularly (in fact, short of doing a water quality test, I
guess I don't know that it is actually working!)

We have one. The tube isn't usually sealed - the end caps unscrew and

the
tube slides out. And in darkness you can see some violet light leaking

out.

Change the tube once a year to keep the UV threshold high enough to kill

the
bacteria.

Precisely.
I was also told to change the filter element ever 3 months (even if
pressure was OK) to absolutely ensure that the water was being
efficiently filtered as even tiny amounts of solid matter can impair
the action of the UV light.

Also, mine has never been tested - as we are the only home using the
water supply, the local environmental health dept aren't concerned
about it. Did yours ever retest or were they happy with the setup that
was installed?

Agreed one can never filter enough - we now have a 10 micron filter followed
by a 0.5 micron filter feeding into the 600 gallon tank. These are changed
6 monthly.

I've asked the council guy to wait a couple of months before retesting as
I'm waiting for some metallic traces to flush out of the system fully. I'll
let you know what he finds. Just because you are the only house on the
supply (everybody has their own supply round here) doesn't mean the council
don't have to test it.