Andy Hall

Default Kitchen extractors NOW WITH PICS!

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 18:02:18 +0000, Richard Savage
wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

Sorry not to be clear. If you put the hob on the oven side, you have
to cross the thoroughfare between the breakfast room and the end with
the two doors (is that the access to the rest of the house and the
back door?).

Doors into carport (which is what the over-sink window looks onto) and back garden are through
the arch on the left and right respectively. The doors at the opposite end of the corridor that
calls itself a kitchen, with hinges adjacent, are into dining room and entrance hall.

If small children, cats,..... run through it seems
dangerous to me. You have the oven on that side anyway, but I
believe that conventional wisdom is that the danger is hot pans from
hob to sink. That happens a lot.

Agree

Typically you want some worktop between hob and sink if you can.

What I was looking at was trying to get the sink along the run under
the window.

To be honest I actually considered blocking up the window - as I said above it looks onto a
carport and beyond that our neighbour's end wall.

I wouldn't do that. Working with artificial light the whole time in
a kitchen is a bit horrible.

Don't ignore the notion of having two separate sinks even if one is
smallish - fitting a 400 or 500 mm unit - and the other a bit larger.
Might be a useful idea - I'm not sure.

Interesting. I'll not exclude it.

I didn't realise that the kickspace heater would wipe out the unit
from being used for an appliance.

I'm not certain that the Kickspace heater does preclude fitting an appliance into the same
cabinet. I made an assumption.

I think so. You have built under and built in appliances available
and they appear to be full unit height including legs. I might be
wrong there though.

Freeing that space up does seem
to be the key to making this work.

Absolutely.

Considering that the room is contiguous with the breakfast room, I
wonder whether increasing the radiator size in there would be worth
considering if you need it.

The only heating in the breakfast room, which the previous owners built as an extension at a time
when the boiler was in the kitchen (in the corner to the left of our current cooker - I think
that you can just see the remains of the flue projecting from the wall, is provided by a wall
mounted gas heater. The old boiler was so badly insulated that they had no need for additional
heating in the kitchen! Now that we have a new CH system (albeit powered by a Potterton Suprima
100) there is no boiler in the kitchen. I found the Kickspace heater when we were in discussion
with the plumber about rads in the kitchen as a better alternative to a space hungry wall rad.
It kicks out loads of heat and the cats cluster round it. Unfortunately it is rather noisy, but
this may be because it is only resting on an old doormat before it is built into the kitchen.

They are a bit. Hence the idea of something in the breakfast room.

The only thing to consider with UFH in
the kitchen is that there may be times when a lot of cooking is
happening and you want to reduce it. That takes time.

SWMBO may not consider this a disadvantage. She suffers badly from cramp in her feet when
walking on cold floors, and this only happens in the kitchen in this house (even when wearing
footware).

OK. Then you will need to think about that at an early stage.
If you are thinking about electric UFH, then I don't believe that it
incurs too much depth in addition to the tiles. Obviously any wet
plumbed version does. Bear in mind that if you use electric UFH and
don't have insulation underneath it could be a bit expensive to run.
The house may already have insulation under the concrete of
course.....

If you are going to go the whole hog on this it would imply digging
out the screed or raising the floor level. This may not appeal too
much.

How about using two plinth heaters in different places run at low
settings?

If you have access to the heating pipes near the oven, how about
putting one run from that in the corner near the oven. You have
plinth space there and it would also be a lot less expensive to run
than the electric one. You could perhaps use a CH powered one most
of the time and boost it with the electric one when needed.
Also, considering the shape of the room, it would give you some warmth
more evenly distributed.

While I think of it, I think that having the extraction to outside,
considering that the room is open plan is an important point.

Yes

You could even put the dishwasher under the corner where you have the
sink shown now. It loses a bit of corner storage space relative to
a standard 600mm cupboard but overall it may not make a huge
difference.

You might have to build some mounting arrangement inside the corner
cupboard to take the appliance, but it should be do-able.

Worth thinking about.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl