BigWallop

Default Help wiring a dimmer switch please.

"JohnB" wrote in message
Hi

I am reasonably competent with basic eleccy DIY - fit socket extensions,
wired up my shed & garage etc - but i've never fitted a dimmer switch !

Anyway the one we have in the house has gone pear shaped and the missus
wants to keep it and got a new one from B&Q. Instructions are useless.

The old one has 2 connections one marked "Com" which has the thick red

wire
and one of the thin red wires connected; and one marked "L" with the other
thin red wire connected, - usual earth to face plate.

The new one has 3 connectors L1, L2 & then another with a strange symbol

on
it - as far as I can glean from the instructions it is for a transformer

(?)
- low voltage supply ?

Have we got the "wrong" dimmer switch ? If not how should I wire it up.

Thanks for any tips.
--
JB - replace myname with john(dot)brennand

Can you describe the funny symbol please.