HA HA Budys Here

From: Bill Schnakenberg

Wayne wrote:

"Pete D" wrote in
:

One of the biggest thieves when it comes to swiping heat out of my
house is my 30 year old Pella patio doors. Top of the line in their
time, even the cheesy vinyl doors at the local Home Depot have better
insulating qualities than these do. With natural gas goin' for
$8.50+/MCF this winter, I'm looking for some replacements (Oh yeah,
and add to that Pella's goofy door arrangement, where the sliding door
is on the *outside*, and I'm REALLY looking to get rid of 'em).

Trouble is, I have no idea where to start or how to even compare
features on these doors. Aside from superior insulating qualities, all
I'm really interested in is having a wooden frame that'll allow me to
stain as I choose (oh yeah, and I want the sliding door on the INSIDE
this time...sorry Pella).

Anyway, I'm leaning toward Andersen, for no other reason than name
recognition, good warranty and having the type of door (wooden) that
I'm looking for. I'm getting installed prices in the $12-1400 range
here in the Cleveland OH area for a standard 6 ft. width. Decent price
for this type of door?

Seems most doors these days are dual-pane with some inert gas in
between for insulation...most of the differences seem to be in the
framing material. Are there any specific specs or features I should be
looking for?

Any help, tips or personal experiences are appreciated.

Pete D

I despise sliding patio doors, regardless of who makes them. We had ours
ripped out and interlocking French doors installed.

Same here. It is much easier to pass large furniture through them than
trying to squeeze furniture through a ~32" opening.
Yes, I know that half of 6' is 36", but there is the overlap of the
doors and the extra room needed for the handle so you don't crush your
hand between the handle and the stationery door.

Put me on the French Door list as well. Add to the good points:

Ability to install a standard or decorative lockset and deadbolt. Or go with
Anderson French patio doors and it will deadbolt top, bottom and center.

I installed 1 single all-glass French patio door flanked by 2 large double hung
Anderson windows, and in the dead of winter I can stand right in front, on an
oak floor, barefoot -and feel no draft.

I don't think there is any slider made that can seal the drafts like a standard
glass door.