Pecanfan

Default Another joisty question...

Hi all,

I've got another joist question that I'd appreciate a few comments on,
totally separate to my various 'loft' posts.

Basically, in case you hadn't already read in another post, the back of our
upstairs flat currently has it's exit to the rear yard downstairs, i.e. the
stairs are inside the flat and eat up a fair portion of, what will become,
our new kitchen. The plan is to move the door from downstairs to upstairs
and bolt a new metal fire escape on the back of the house. I can then fit a
new floor where the stairs used to be and all will be dandy.

Well, after a weekend of knocking various holes in walls to see how the
joists run, this would appear to be the situation:-
http://www.pciq.co.uk/pics/joists1.gif

Now, obviously I need to somehow put a floor where the current staircase is,
however I have a number of dilemmas:-

1. I can't disturb the existing floor joists since they support our
downstairs neighbour's ceiling and I don't really want to be stung for a
replastering bill.

2. Joist A would appear to be supporting half (?) of the weight of the
current floor and ceiling via Joist B, so I don't want to put any extra
weight on Joist A OR B, which rules out simply shoving some new joists in
and hanging between the wall and Joist B.

3. Likewise, I can't really run a couple of longer new joists perpendicular
to the existing joists, suspended between the back wall and Joist A, since
again I would imagine Joist A would be supporting too much weight.

4. I can't up-rate Joist A with steel on the back, since there's a concrete
floor behind it.

SO, the only thing I can think of is to do this:-
http://www.pciq.co.uk/pics/joists2.gif

Basically, I'll install a temporary joist from the back wall to the concrete
floor and fasten the existing joists to this using twisted restraint strap.
This should provide enough support to stop the ceiling from collapsing while
I remove Joist B. I'll then just bolt new joists to the existing joists and
remove the temporary joist once everything is secure.

Can anyone think of any problems with this or does anyone have any better
ideas?

All of the joists in question are 65 x 175mm and the span from left to right
is 2370mm. I tried downloading SuperBeam but it makes no sense. :-)

As a side note, if a joist hanger isn't quite at the right height, which of
course it will be, what's the best way of 'packing' between the joist hanger
and the joist to bring the joist up to the perfect height? Slate?

Anyway, cheers again in advance!

Andy
new SDS drill has just arrived... REALLY feel the need to damage
something...