Brian Sharrock

"Nodge" wrote in message
I'm in the process of fitting a new bathroom and want to fit a new lock on
the door. At the moment we just have a small metal sliding bolt and would
like to fit something a bit more stylish. Any suggestions?

Nodge

You'll find that manufacturers if door-lock furniture
produce a 'basic' lever latch mechanism, then a
'basic' plus key lock model ... then a 'privacy' style
with the 'basic' latch and (where the key goes) a
knob that latches the door shut.
see Screwfix items
D35327 (Lever latch),
D89819 (Lock)
and D46134 (Privacy)
[Vol 75 page 139]
for an example of _one_ range of this door furniture

These privacy models may come with a round head on
the outside-door side with a wide srew-driver slot to enable
the door to be unlocked from the outside in emergencies
(collapse of person inside ... child locks door, but can't
unlock it!). I've retro-fitted privacy latches to my
bathroom and toilet doors and lodged a penny coin
over the doorway on the door's architrave - if there's
an emergency inside .. I'm not flaffing about getting
an appropriate screwdriver!)
I've been deliberately vague in the description but
you'll find locksmiths (and B&Q) have quite a wide range
of these mechanisms in bronze, satin-stainless, shiny chrome
in classic/modern/futuristic style. Manufacturers also offer
discrete 'individual' locking-lever and separate privacy 'knobs'.
There's a wide choice waiting for you ...

--

Brian