Pete C

On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 13:16:41 +0100, Stuart
wrote:

On 5 Sep 2004 05:05:38 -0700, (dg) wrote:

Stuart wrote in message . ..
I have been advised by Scottish Water that they have detected a leak in
the mains supply feeding the flats I live in..They say it is after their
stop tap and is ,therefore ,the responsibility of the owners ..The supply
pipe is below cement and or tarmac.
Does anyone know if plumbers have sonar type equipment that can pick up
suck leaks to identify where the leak is to avoid costly investigative
digging ...Scottish Water suggested that some plumbers would have this
equipment .
Stuart

Why isn't the landlord or service agent dealing with this?

Well they are ,sort of. I advised them of the problem but they took the
pessimistic route saying there could be considerable costs involved ..What
they seemed to be saying was that it would be a case of digging at one end
and keeping digging until the leajk was found .I was trying to suggest to
them ways of locating the likley area of the leak before starting digging

Hi,

What you need is a company with a leak noise correlator:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8&q=site%3A.uk+%22leak+noise%22

This will give the distance of the leak between two points in the
pipework, then an acoustic sounder can be used on the ground above to
help pinpoint the location of the pipe.

cheers,
Pete.