The Natural Philosopher

Lobster wrote:

"Michael Mcneil" wrote in message news:60b267a7ef84b2b4931c7e4f69eceac1.45219@mygat e.mailgate.org...

"neil leslie" wrote in message

When preparing wood for painting [I'm about to do my floorboards] I've
been told to use a knot sealer. What is this for?

Its a resin like shellac that is impervious to resin that will bleed out
of the knots. You just dab a thin coat on the actual knot. 5 minutes
that's it. Don't overdo it.

And if you've got a manky knot which is going to need filling and
sanding prior to painting, when's the best/appropriate time to apply
the knotting? Every time I have to do it I ask myself the question...

I sand first, knot, fill and then sand again. If any knot is revealed
then knot again and sand.

Then prime and sand, undercoat and sand, top and sand and top....

David